Friday, October 19, 2007

Siding and Finish


Siding is stacked and drying after the 1st coat of sealer.

The first thing people see about any home is the exterior finish or paint. I know we get more inquiries and complements on the finish of the siding on our home than anything. So, I guess I should have posted something sooner.

1st off the house is sided with vertical ship-lapped red cedar siding. To me there are few things prettier than red cedar, so we knew we had to leave it clear. As I have posted before this home was designed and the materials were supplied by Pan Abode Homes a company with over 50 years designing red cedar homes. On their recommendation we used Sikkens Cetol Log and Siding Sealer. I did a little research too and I could not find any product that had an overall higher rating. Of course here in Southeast Alaska the finish will get a real test, so I also asked around town. I found out there are at least 2 homes here in Sitka were the Sikkens has been on for over 10 years, and both homes still look great.

We applied one coat before the siding was put on the buildings and then another coat after it was hung. We did not back-prime or finish as I’m of the school that cedar needs to breath and finishing both sides would inhibit the woods chance or expelling any water that will be absorbed.


It’s not very fair that Connie isn’t in this photo because she did at least 75% of all the finishing. But, she also took most of the photos. Here she caught me doing the 2nd coat on the high stuff that she didn’t like doing. The 6 foot step ladder is sitting on ladder jack planks. Something she wouldn't do.

2 comments:

Amy said...

Marcel the house looks AMAZING. Your ability to work with your hands has always been something that impressed me. It is really cool that you and Connie worked together to build it. Building a house is something Ethan and I want to do when we are ready to settle down in one place.
Amy

Mary said...

What a beautiful house! I love red cedar and I agree that it needs to breathe. I look forward to more photos of this lovely home.

Mary