Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Dining Table

I know a lot of guys would hate having their mother-in-laws living with them, but I’m one of those guys who has always liked my mother-in-law Millie and I’m glad she is living with us now. Since Connie and I lived aboard a boat for so many years we obviously didn’t have any furniture to put into our new home. So, when Millie moved here from Colorado she brought with her enough furniture to furnish the house. I think the piece of furniture we all enjoy the most is the dining room table. Millie’s father purchased this table in the late 1920’s and interestingly enough the table at one time belonged to Civil War General Frank Wheaton.




Millie sits at the table on a very rainy day working on a needlepoint project.



The table is solid oak and as you can see in this photo has some very ornate carvings. The table is 54” wide . The table is capable of holding 6 leafs. In the photo below only one leaf is in. 2 crossword puzzles from the local paper sit on the table awaiting Connie’s expertise.






1 comment:

Mary said...

Marcel,

A beautiful table and a real treasure in more ways than one. It is a family heirloom and it was once owned by a Civil War general.

I have my grandmother's oak table. It needs to be refinished, but I'm very particular on the method that will be used. Unfortunately, most refinishers want to dip it and I don't want that to happen. It raises the grain. One day I may find someone to do it by hand. It will be a very expensive undertaking, so am biding my time.

Enjoyed your beautiful photos. Take care and many blessings.
Mary