Saturday, October 27, 2007

Fall and Trees


It turned into a very nice fall afternoon today. The sun was shinning so I had to take a few photos from the deck and around the house of the fall colors.



Looking up the lake from our front yard.



Looking down the lake into town from the front yard.



My ignorance of the proper names of various plants doesn’t keep me from enjoying the colors that are right in our front yard.



Many people thought we were crazy to build the deck around an alder tree. Here is Southeast Alaska alders grow like weeds and many people hate them becasue they do make a mess and can be hard to control. Even though it adds to the work of keeping the gutters clean we love having this alder right out the front door.




I love walking just a couple of feet out the front door and looking up at the branches with or without leaves.




And I love looking at the moss and lichens that grow on the alder trees.

I think what we love the most about our new home is that we can enjoy the outdoors even though we are just a few blocks away from downtown. When we designed and built the house we worked hard to save trees. Too often people cut all the trees down, build the house and then replant trees. We figured that was a tad crazy so we did our best to save as many trees as we could. And, we are glad we did, even though they were sometimes a pain to work around.


2 comments:

Mary said...

Wow! A lovely view for sure. And I love the photo of the mosses and lichens growing on the alder tree.

People are too keen on cutting trees and clearing land. Many times the new subdivisions here are completely cleared, which is ridiculous. My grandsons complain because the area in which they live has no trees. I'm glad you did your best to preserve all the trees you could. Beautiful photos and beautiful home.

Marcel L said...

Mary, thanks.

I see you also checkout my daughter-in-laws blog so you know how important trees and wildlife are to my whole family. I'm glad my grandson's get to grow up in the forest. Both of them like to kiss trees, which I think is very cute. Little Nate has kissed the alder outside our front door many times and that sure melts my heart.

I can understand why your grandsons complain about no trees. I know I would have a hard time living soewhere that didn't have them.