Thursday, October 11, 2007

Construction Photos V


Blake and Nate got very excited when we rented a forklift to unload materials from the 40' van Pan Abode shipped us.


This is why we built the garge first. When building in Southeast Alaska a person needs a dry place to store the building materials.


Of course the excavating is never done. Blake uses his road grader to help smooth out the D-1 gravel around the foundation.

I have been involved with construction since I was a little kid, and I can tell you I have never seen as much steel strapping on any building as the engineers required on ours.



I had never built a post and beam home before so I found the framing to be a new challenge, but lots of fun too.




More seismic bracing and tie downs than I have ever seen. The framing is tied down to the foundation in 35 places, not counting the tons all the 5/8" J bolts. In the photo you can see a couple of the big tie downs that use 5- 1 1/8" bolts through the posts and are cast into the foundation with 1" J bolts

No comments: