Saturday, November 3, 2007

Working on the Rock Pile

One of the real problems with building on a small lot is all the hand work that has to be done without the aid of machinery. I have to give credit where credit is due. Connie has been moving yards and yards of rock and gravel by hand. She figures there is more than one way to stay in shape. (See why so many guys have asked me if Connie has a sister. She doesn’t. SORRY!)


40 yards of mixed rock and gravel was dumped under the main entrance ramp.

After already moving 30 some yards of gravel by hand we had another 40 yards of shot rock, drain rock and gravel delivered. We hired a young man who was on his summer break from college to move the rock. After moving about a 1/3 of it he quit. So, Connie who is 35 year older than he and about 40% small than he is took over moving the rock and gravel. And, she had to move it further.


Connie moved this rock in 5 gallon buckets and then neatly stacked the rocks.


The big rocks were stacked with the tractor before we started building. All the smaller rock and gravel was moved by hand.

3 comments:

Mary said...

Way to go, Connie! I remember when Dad dug out our basement when I was a kid. Mom and my brother and I moved all the clay dirt by putting it in buckets, dumping them out a window Dad had made and then using the wheelbarrow to haul it away. Very hard work.

Marcel said...

Mary,

So you too know how much ard work moving dirt, rock and gravel is by hand. As I write this Connie is out moving more! I'd be helping but I'm nursing a pulled muscle. I think anyone can see why in our 35 years of marriage guys ask if she has a sister. She is the best!

Mary said...

Marcel,

I have done many hard labor jobs in my day. We were brought up that it didn't matter what job was to be done, you should do it. I've thrown bales into a haymow, shocked grain and done a hundred other jobs that would kill me today. But it didn't hurt me a bit.

I'm glad you enjoyed the Old Pump story.

Blessings to you and yours.
Mary